This is my family’s all-time favorite. We literally cook this dish at least once a week or more. There are thousands of recipes online but I can guarantee you the recipe I will show below will be the best. It’s quite simple but very delicious and flavorful.
Anytime I eat this dish, it brings back my childhood memory. This is my comfort food.
You can use this recipe for pork shoulder or chicken as well if you prefer a healthy version.
Braised Pork Belly Recipe
- 2 lbs pork belly
- 6 eggs
- 1 daikon optional
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced onion white part only
- 2 tbsp minced shallot
- 1 cup coconut soda coconut water is fine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- Wash your meat and soak in saltwater for 5 minutes. Rinse and dry. Cut pork belly into 2 inches or desire you want. Combine garlic, onion, shallot, fish sauce, oyster sauce, and chicken seasoning. Let's marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight. In the meantime, boil the eggs and cut the daikon. Set aside.
- Next step, you will need to make a caramel sauce. This is the most important step. In a medium saucepan, turn the heat on medium, add the oil and sugar. Dot not stir. Once oil and sugar dissolve and turn into medium brown. Turn off the heat and immediately add your marinated meat in the pan. Shake it a little bit and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium again, sear meat about 10 minutes. Add in coconut soda and bring it to boil. Reduce the heat the slow, add boiled eggs, daikons (optional), close the lid, and cook for another 30 minutes or until the meat tender.
- Open the lid and turn the heat high and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Taste your meat if you need to add more fish sauce.
- That's it. This dish is best to serve with hot rice and some salad for side dishes.
All-Clad 4203 Stainless Steel Tri-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Sauce Pan with Lid / Cookware, 3-Quart, Silver – 8701004398