Chicken is one of my favorite meat to cook curry. When you think about curry, you might think it must be spicy but the recipe I will show you below it’s very mild that kids can enjoy it too.
I like to use the chicken thigh for a curry with bones. It gives it better taste and flavor in my opinion. But you can use chicken breast, drumstick or the whole chicken, whichever you prefer.
I add carrots, potatoes, onions. I don’t want to overwhelm the dish with too much stuff in it. It will take away the basic flavors which are chicken and curry.
You can serve with bread, rice, or noodle.
Chicken Curry Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 3 potatoes
- 4 carrots
- 1/2 chopped yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced lemongrass
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp mined shallot
- 1 cup coconut juice
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 2 cans chicken stock
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Marinate chicken with lemongrass, garlic, shallot, fish sauce, salt, curry powder for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In the large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook for a few minutes until the onions are fragrant and softened.
- Add all the marinated chicken in the pot and sear both sides for 10 minutes. Then add in coconut juice, coconut cream, and chicken stock. Bring it to boil.
- Reduce the heat low, close the lid, and let it simmer to the consistency you want. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
- Top with fresh cilantro, serve with rice, bread or noodle.