I am obsessed with Japanese cuisine. Besides sushi, I love their bread and pastry as well. I am learning to bake more Japanese goods lately.
Have you ever have a Japanese milk roll? It tastes a little bit similar to a Hawaiian roll. I love it because it is soft, not too sweet and a perfect side dish or snack for us.
I am actually very surprised how easy it is to make these. You only need a few ingredients.
After you try the recipe below, you don’t need to go to the bakery to buy these anymore. It’s super easy.
Japanese Milk Roll Recipe
- 2 2/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 7 g active yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 g whole milk warmed
- 30 g unsalted butter melted
- In the medium cup, combine yeast, sugar, and warmed milk. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In the large bowl, add flour, salt, melted butter, and yeast mixture. Knead until smooth dough.
- Cover with plastic wrap for one hour or until rising double in size.
- Divide dough evenly to 9 pieces. It's about 65g each.
- Place in the square pan with parchment paper and make sure to leave some room between each dough.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees.
- Sprinkle some corn starch on top for each rolls and bake for 20 minutes.