Vietnamese Crab and Asparagus Soup or Sup Mang Cua is an elegant soup often served on special occasions such as weddings, ceremonies, or holidays. We serve as appetizers or sometimes it can be a main dish.
The soup is super delicious and healthy as it contains main ingredients crab, chicken, eggs, corn, and asparagus. The broth will be cooked by using the fresh chicken bone.
The scallops are optional but my family always loves to have them in the soup.
You can get the fresh crab and remove the meat but I find the Chicken of the Sea Crab meat tastes really close to the fresh one and it saves time as well. You can buy the can at Costco.
The soup meant to cook on the day you serve since you add the tapioca starch. If you cook a day before, the soup will the watery and the soup will not thick if you reheat the next day.
However you can prepare all the ingredients and broth a day ahead. It will save you a lot of time.
The main taste of the soup you must have is sesame oil.
It’s easy to make and now let get it started.
Vietnamese Crab and Asparagus Soup Recipe (Sup Mang Cua)
- 1 can Chicken & Sea Premium Real Crab meat
- 1 can white asparagus
- 1 can baby corn
- 1 lbs chicken bone
- 6 pc chicken drum sticks
- 1 medium jicama peeled
- 1 tbsp rock sugar
- 1 tbsp chicken seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 dozen quail eggs cooked and peeled
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup tapiocal starch
- 1 can corn
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 bun cilantro cleaned and chopped
- Rinse chicken bone and drum sticks under running water.
- In the medium pot, add 2 liters of water or enough to cover all the bone and drum sticks. Cut jicama into 4 pcs and add to the pot. Bring to boil, occasionally remove the bubbles. Reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- After 20 minutes, remove chicken drum sticks on the plate to let it cool. Shred the meat and put the bones back to the pot and continue to shimmer the broth.
- In the meantime, drain the liquid from corn, crab meat, and asparagus. Set aside.
- Remove all the bones off the pot. In another pot, use a drainer and transfer the soup broth over. Turn the heat on to medium, add in rock sugar, salt, chicken seasoning.
- Continue to add on chicken, quail eggs, crab meat, corn, and asparagus. Stir it gently.
- Then add in slowly mixture of tapioca starch. Stir it gently in the clockwise.
- Next, slowly stir in beaten egg white and egg yolk.
- Season the last step with sesame oil. Taste and adjust.
- Garnish with cilantro and black pepper (chilli oils if preferred)