One of my favorite desserts is flan. I love to make it at home whenever I am craving sweets.
There are several recipes out there. The main difference is how they adjust their portion of eggs between egg yolk and egg white. I found this is the best for my taste. It has enough sweetest and creamy texture for me.
It’s not as complicated as some of you might think. Give it a try and let me know what you think.
I will show you some tricks below recipe to help to bake a perfect creme caramel flan.
- Eggs need to be at room temperature
- Condense milk instead of heavy creme
- Insert a small tower in the baking dish
- Use souffle baking cups
- Use butter to wipe around your baking cups to make it easier to remove your flan after baking
Creme Caramel Flan Recipe
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbsp condense milk
- 2 cups plus 4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Make caramel sauce:
- In the small saucepan, add sugar, water, and lemon. Turn to medium-low heat. Do not stir. Wait until sugar dissolves to golden brown color. Turn off the heat and pour it into the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- Make the custard:
- In the medium pot, combine milk and condense milk. Turn to low-medium heat. Stir until it all well dissolved. We just heat it too hot, do not boil.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs using your hand whisk. Add in milk slowly into eggs and whisk together. Do not over whisk eggs as this will cause the custard to have air bubbles.
- Strain the mixture. Next, add the mixture into the custard cups filling them about full. Place custard cups into baking dish. Fill the baking dish with boil water, about halfway up the sides of the custard cups.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into flan comes out clean and when lightly shaken the middle jiggles just slightly.
- Remove from oven and allow cups to cool
- Remove cups, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- To serve run a knife around the edge of the cup and invert onto a plate. Pour some ice on top and garnish with mint or fruit.